Butterfly Kisses & Bedtime Prayers

"Butterfly Kisses after bedtime prayer. Stickn' little white flowers all up in her hair. Oh with all that I've done wrong, I must have done something right. To deserve a hug every morning and butterfly kisses at night". *** For parents of children with diabetes and adults who are living with Type 1 diabetes. We are looking to share stories, ideas, concerns, and laughter.***

Sunday, February 05, 2006

JOUBERT'S EXCELLENT ADVENTURE-II

We survived 3 days in Disney! Disney Land has been great. Especially Carylanne's BG numbers. So far we haven't had any lows despite tons of walking. Her joints are doing great and she has been able to do all the walking without assistance. A miracle in itself from how she was a year ago! We spent all day Friday and Saturday in the parks. They went on their first rollar coaster ride with Daddy. Mom doesn't do rollar coasters anymore. I used to go on them all but somehow in the last couple yeas I became my mother and stopped being able to tolerate them. I used to think she was so OLD for not going on them. How terrible to now be that OLD mother!

Friday we saw the Remember the Magic parade. Christianne cried though the whole thing because she was so happy! She got to see Tinker Bell at the head of the parade which is her absolute favorite! Saturday we surprised the girls with lunch at Ariel's Grotto. This is a special luncheon with Ariel and all her friends. They "met" Snow White, Cindarella, Belle, Jasmine, and Ariel. Talk about starstruck. We saw the best fire works over the castle at night. What a spectacuar time. In case you cannot tell by my enthusiam over Disney or by our choice of new homes, we are total Disney fanatics. A great part of our wardrobes is Disney as well as my home. Luckily my husband shares my enthusiasm with all things Disney. He is totally Grumpy, right down to the tattoo of Grumpy on his leg. I love all Disney but especially POOH who is tattooed on my leg. My girls love all things Disney of course. I intend to get my job back when we are settled in Florida.

Today we went to Hollywood. How cool to see the Hollywood sign set up in the hills. We went to Citywalk in Universal Studios. It all just doesn't seem real to be on the mainland and on this vacation. For a family originally from RI we have been a real long way!!

Tomorrow we are on to Vegas for 2 nights. While we won't be gambling I hear there are shows etc for us to see and Hoover Dam. Then we will head to Flagstaff and so on.

All along this trip our greatest concern has been of course Carylanne's diabetes. Mostly keeping her insulin cold. My husband designed an awesome cooler that kept it cold with gel packs for 12 hours while we were on the plane. Now we have purchased a small electronic refrigerator, found at wal-mart. It runs off the cigarette lighter in the van as well as regular power in the room. It keeps things cold to 40 degrees. So far it is nice and cold and ready to be tested out tomorrow on our drive to Las Vegas. I may love this thing. Especially living in Florida. If we lose power we can plug it in in the van and keep her insulin cool through a storm.

Well that's it on on adventure thus far. Aside from all living in a hotel room for nearly 2 weeks it is going great. I am so pleased that the girls are having fun and that Carylanne's numbers are so good. I know she may have a higher HBA1C after this but in all I couldn't be happier. Time for Bedtime prayers and sweet dreams of our continued adventure.......

3 Comments:

  • At 9:25 PM HST, Blogger Red (Aus) said…

    Sounds like you've had a great time. And just think! You'll be able to use your time in Disney to add to the latest tagorama to hit the OC on 'four things' :B Check my blog for details and consider yourself tagged!! hehe

     
  • At 10:53 AM HST, Blogger Ellen said…

    What a wonderful adventure. I can envision the sparkle in everyone's eyes.

    Just a word of caution re the little cooler - don't let it freeze the insulin. Frozen insulin has to be discarded. This happened to us with a hotel 'fridge in Orlando.

    Happy trails. Your blog is lovely.

     
  • At 7:32 AM HST, Blogger bethany said…

    You should ask your dr. about not keeping your insulin cold. I was told a while back that they've found out that it's ok for it to be left out, it just can't be in extreme warmth or extreme cold. I've heard it from a lot of different people.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home