Butterfly Kisses & Bedtime Prayers

"Butterfly Kisses after bedtime prayer. Stickn' little white flowers all up in her hair. Oh with all that I've done wrong, I must have done something right. To deserve a hug every morning and butterfly kisses at night". *** For parents of children with diabetes and adults who are living with Type 1 diabetes. We are looking to share stories, ideas, concerns, and laughter.***

Wednesday, February 08, 2006

THE ADVENTURE CONTINUES!!!!

Our grand adventure continues on with new stops this week. Monday we headed off to Vegas. Driving through the Mojave desert the girls were watching Brother Bear. The song "tell everybody I'm on my way, new friends and new places to see" seemed to say it all for our new life. It just doesn't seem like it is us this is happening to. Like watching it on tv or reading about it. Moving somewhere new to start a whole new life, meet new people, new jobs. But it really is us and we have waited for a long time for this.

Well we arrived in Las Vegas at 4 pm. Very glitzy but not our kind of town. We stayed right on the strip at a nice hotel. The Flamingo. It had a fabulous buffet which for us was heavenly as we have not had many of those foods in over 3 years. We don't gamble and of course have the kids with us so there wasn't too much to do. Tuesday we went to Hoover Dam. Very nice scenery. Today we set off to Flagstaff AZ which is where I am coming to you from now. After dropping our things at the hotel we drove up to the Grand Canyon! How breathtaking! We got to see it at sunset. Then we saw deer and elk on the drive back. The girls thought that was so cool.

Carylanne's numbers are doing very well. A few highs in the 300 range but I did an early change out and we were back on track. I think with all the excitement and driving we are doing fairly well. The fridge we got for her insulin is working great!! It is a mini-fridge. It can't freeze the insulin as it doesn't get that cold. But it gets to 40 degrees and is working out great. I had one comment about letting the insulin get warm. I was told that if it is at room temp then it is good for a month. Let's face it once its in the pump it warms up and is good for the 3 days or so. But I have 6 vials on me and don't want it all to get warm. But thanks to Bethany for the advice. I have let one vial at a time go to room temp when she was on shots and it worked as good as her cold insulin. The fridges in the hotels are touchy and can freeze your stuff easily. We put the insulin in the door away from the back of the fridge where is is the coldest. But now that I have our own liitle portable fridge we are all set without needing in room ones.

Tomorrow we hit the road and DRIVE. David is tired of the in and out of hotels and wants to get some miles behind us. I am ready for that too. I want to get to Florida soon. We get our apartment next wed and then can head to Rhode Island. We haven't been there in 4 years and it will be great to see my parents again.

I have learned on this trip and hopefully taught my daughters that we can manage and do anything. Diabetes or not, nothing should get in the way if you want something. We have waited a long time for this and it hardly seems real. To be going to Florida finally and be civilians seems like a dream. Well Dave is doing laundry so I could get the girls off to bed. He really is one of the great ones!

3 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home