Butterfly Kisses & Bedtime Prayers

"Butterfly Kisses after bedtime prayer. Stickn' little white flowers all up in her hair. Oh with all that I've done wrong, I must have done something right. To deserve a hug every morning and butterfly kisses at night". *** For parents of children with diabetes and adults who are living with Type 1 diabetes. We are looking to share stories, ideas, concerns, and laughter.***

Thursday, January 05, 2006

What a beautiful day! For any and all of you who are sitting in cold and snowy weather I appologize right up front for this post. Today is just gorgeous here in Hawaii. Not a beach day. A bit cool at 75 for that. But what was beautiful wasn't so much the weather but the experience of the day. It was a beautiful playground day. The girls played for over and hour at the "big playground" on Hickam Airforce Base (something Carylanne could not do a year ago due to ENTHESOPATHY). One thing that amazes me is that they are playing with fighter jets flying over head. Like it is just the most normal thing in the world. They don't even notice if it is tank on the road or an SUV. Blackhawks and OH-58 helicoptors are just background at daddy's work. They understand WAR and what soldiers do. They saw the events of 9/11 first hand. We were in DC at the time and watched the Pentagon go up in flames. But even with that knowledge comes and innocence about it.

I love watching them run and play. Such innocense. On the playgound it doesn't matter how much money you have, what rank your father or mother is. What race or cultural background you come from. To these children all that matters is who's IT in the best game of freeze tag. I watch these little girls and boys and wish it could be that way for all children. I am glad of their innocense. Of making fast friends at the playground. running and playing as if they have known each other for years. Just having fun without a care in the world. All too soon they will grow up and the world to them will be a different place. I wish I could keep them this carefree forever. I will try to as long as I can. Even in Carylanne's not so carefree life, her diabetes didn't matter today. Mom was on watch. She could just play and be one of the kids. She knows I have it covered. I will give her the appropriate snack before and after. I will remind her to check her Bg discreetly as she gets a drink. She can concentrate on getting to Goo and being IT. She can make friends. Run around crazy and enjoy the cool breezes. When she is tired she can sleep well because she knows somewhere in her sleep she will be checked and be safe from lows and highs. She trusts me to be there for her. She has her sister as well. They watch out for one another. I see them checking to see where the other one is. Christianne asking her sister if she is ok when she falls. It is heartwarming. Through the sibling rivalry and the bickering, they truly love one another.

Someday it will all change. They will be adults. Making their own decisions. spreading their wings. I pray they will always look out for each other just like on that playground today. Carylanne will have to make her own decisions on her care. How she is going to control her disease Will she "cheat", will she forget to check. She knows I will teach her everything she needs to know and be her safety net when she stumbles because that is what moms do. But I love watching them be children. Playing, laughing and enjoying the good times. Think I will go watch them build their castles and remember them as Princesses always. Give them big hugs, butterfly kisses and tell them how much I love them.

5 Comments:

  • At 5:23 PM HST, Blogger Megan said…

    Can I come visit you in Hawaii sometime? Seriously, it's 35 and raining/ slushing here. Though I have nothing to complain about. I leave for Florida Sunday.

     
  • At 5:10 AM HST, Blogger Vivian said…

    These are the moments we hide away in our hearts. Thanks for sharing, I could see them in my mind as they were running around and laughing. I am so glad you are having wonderful times with your girls to hold onto for the trip. Enjoy.

    Vivian

     
  • At 5:47 AM HST, Blogger julia said…

    What a lovely image! Nicely written.

    75 is cool? *snort* It's grey and cold and snowy up here in New England. I'd take your 75 right about now.

     
  • At 9:40 AM HST, Blogger Kerri. said…

    I am a firm believer in continuing to live in my mental castle and adorn my head with a makeshift crown. (Even if it is from Burger King. Or maybe the cheap tiara I have in the trunk of The Jetta.)

    Thank you for the beautiful image.

    And for rubbing it in that it's "A bit cool at 75." :)

     
  • At 10:29 PM HST, Blogger Red (Aus) said…

    LOL I'll have to go and convert your 75 to 'my numbers' but while I do that I will say there isn't any need to apologise to me for the weather :B We live in tropical Queensland where the ads tout it as "Beautiful one day.. Perfect the next" Yeah yeah I can feel the daggers in those looks hehe
    We have one week of winter here, where the temp ranges 15-25 (60-77)and by then we're all rugged up with heaters blazing and fires roaring :D

    I also totally get the jet fighters overhead etc. We live in a garrison town, even though my husband is not military, his father was. We have the army base at one end of town and the airforce base at the other. Our previous town was also army so my kids have grown up with tanks and jets everywhere all of the time. I once worried that that attitude could breed complacency at the wrong time, but anything to reverse that just takes away their innocence. I had a wonderful carefree childhood and I hope all of my kids get the same opportunity, and their kids.. and so on.

    I'll finish off with... 75? brrrrr where's the cardy!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home