Butterfly Kisses & Bedtime Prayers

"Butterfly Kisses after bedtime prayer. Stickn' little white flowers all up in her hair. Oh with all that I've done wrong, I must have done something right. To deserve a hug every morning and butterfly kisses at night". *** For parents of children with diabetes and adults who are living with Type 1 diabetes. We are looking to share stories, ideas, concerns, and laughter.***

Wednesday, January 11, 2006

How I met your father.

I love the new show how I met your mother. My kids love to hear the odd story on how I met Dave and how we got married. I thought I would share it so that my comments of a marriage that wasnt supposed to work would make sense. Mind you I have told my daughters that they are never to do what I did.

Dave was an irrate customer. I worked for the cable company. He came into my office and was upset at the installation charges at his new apartment. I was told (I kid you not) that "I should just be happy he was a customer and that he paid my salary." After getting him to calm down and offering an installation deal he stopped being such a jerk. In fact he was kind of cute. We started talking on the phone. I lied and said I was looking for an electrician to run some wire in my apartment. I knew he was an electrician because he filled out a job app. as he was laid off. Well after talking on the phone for several hours he came over to visit and check out the wiring. We began dating, once a week, in April. I saw him only once a week. After June I saw him 2 times a week. He was always busy with the fire dept (volunteer) and other obligations. I really though he was married at first or otherwise taken. I had really contemplated breaking up but couldn't. I thought 1 day a week is better than nothing. I really like this guy. I told him I loved him one night. He looked deep into my eyes, smiled and replied "THANK YOU" and went home. OUr phone bills wer really high and I worked closer to where he lived than me. SO I decided to move closer to him. He wouldn't even help me look for an apartment. But I wanted to move anyway so I didn't care. I didn't think we were going to make it anyway. He only saw me 1 or 2 times a week. Finally around July 13 we started spending a lot of time together. I had found an apartment and was moving in the last week of July. He told me one night that he really did love me and that he was thinking of asking me to marry him. He didn't ask however, just said he was thinking about it. He asked me to go camping on the 25th for my birthday. I had never been camping. We went to Maine. On the way I kiddingly said hey they don't need blood tests in NH we could runaway and get married HAHAHA. Near the campground was his Mom's best friend and a woman who was like a second mom to him when growing up. We stopped in to say hi. It was actually a test. Brenda loved me and said his mother would have approved. He told her that he was going to propose. She told him her mother was a JP and blood tests weren't needed in Maine. But there was a 3 day waiting period. Well the following day we were supposed to go back to RI for me to start moving. He asked if I wanted to stay another night and go home on MOnday instead. Of course I did I was having a great time and finally having lots of time together. That night he made a camp fire meal of hotdogs and macaroni and cheese. He got winecoolers too. After dinner he went into this speach about how I had changed his life. Then he asked me to marry him on Thurs. We got the license the next morning. We went Dutch. It was $5 each for the license. We went back to RI announced our engagement (but left out the Thurs part) bought rings and moved me. On Wed we drove back to Maine. Thur we were able to pick up the licenses and on Thurs our friend's mother married us in her living room. We had dated for 3 1/2 months. We had actually gone out on official dates twice before the camping trip. But we just knew. You can imagine how shocked our families were. We went to dinner at my parents that sunday to begin "planning" a wedding. Then I broke the news. (behind our backs the bet was 6 months at the most). Well we are going on 14 years and have lasted longer than our brothers and sisters marriages. Go figure.

I tell him that I am stubborn so we are together to prove my mother wrong. He laughs. The kids think it is so funny that he said Thank You when I said I love you. I told them if a boy does that to them, DUMP HIM! I tell him that I paid $5 for him so that means I own him. He paid for me too. We have a strange sense of humor and that is what gets us through. It can be hard at times. We really didn't know each other well and didn't know what we were getting into. We jumped in head first but decided to be determined to make it work. I have seen so many people who date for years only to be divorced before 5 years. I have decided it is not how well you know someone but how committed you are to making it work. Thinsg have been so stressful and hard this last year that I remind myself often that I am stubborn and will continue to make it work. Somedays we are still madly in love. Some I could trade him to another country. But that is what marriage is.
Not sure whay I wanted to write about this today. Just something on my mind after last night when he took care of everythng for me why I was hurting. He is usually a real great guy. But his moody days are hell. But aren't we all like that??!!

3 Comments:

  • At 1:44 PM HST, Blogger Penny said…

    That was great. Thank you for sharing. By the way, How I Met Your Mother is one of my favorite shows.

     
  • At 10:01 AM HST, Blogger bethany said…

    It's such a cute story ... thanks for sharing! and I hope that everything is going well with the moving. <3

     
  • At 1:25 AM HST, Blogger supermom said…

    Strange, but true. My ex-husband's name is the same as yours and I use supermom as a blogger username. The difference is that i have 7 kids and things didn't work out with the alleged "Prince Charming".
    I enjoyed your post!
    Take Care,
    supermom_in_ny
    aka
    Snow White

     

Post a Comment

<< Home