Butterfly Kisses & Bedtime Prayers

"Butterfly Kisses after bedtime prayer. Stickn' little white flowers all up in her hair. Oh with all that I've done wrong, I must have done something right. To deserve a hug every morning and butterfly kisses at night". *** For parents of children with diabetes and adults who are living with Type 1 diabetes. We are looking to share stories, ideas, concerns, and laughter.***

Tuesday, December 06, 2005

Our Story

Well here is our story. A good way to start I suppose. My 9 yr old daughter Carylanne has Type 1 diabetes. That is why I am here. She also has Hypothyroidism (diagnosed along with the diabetes), Enthesopathy(great topic for another post) and acid reflux. I think that's it.

I have an 8 yr old who thank God is healthy. She got the bad eyesight. I am an armywife of 13 years. But we are soon to leave the Army (about 60 days left) to embark on a new and exciting journey into civilian life. Oh we were there before but this will be new and exciting. My husband is now a disabled vet so we have more challenges than before. God must think I crave stress and challenges because I have them both up the wazoo!!!

I will not bore you with the whole story of our diagnosis etc. It was all pretty much the same as you have all endured. It has been 3 1/2 years now. Most days have gotten easier than back then but not always. We have our scary moments and monthly meltdowns but we are finding our way through it all. Carylanne has her pump and loves it. She has the support of her sister who is her best friend. Her dad and I take care of her and are teaching her to take care of herself. So she will never feel like she cannot do it or make the right decisions. Plus she knows her mom will always be her safety net if she does.

We are looking forward to moving back to the mainland. Starting a new life and connecting with other families like ours. Carylanne wants friends who understand being Hi has nothing to do with drugs and that Shaky is not a fun thing. We have felt removed from the world these last couple years. I belive there are support groups here but this island is complicated. It is hard to fit in if you are military. So we have learned everything we could and gone through most of it on our own.

We are in Hawaii at the present. Not our paradise. Oh it was nice at first. But it wears off with the price of everything. We are Disney fanatics and haven't been off this rock in nearly 3 years. (Ecept to another rock being the BIg Island of Hawaii to Volcano National Park. A great place that I may talk about at some point. BUt in Haswaii there are no Applebees or Sonics, no purple ice cream, and no bunny bread. It was not our choice to be here. The Army made that choice; and now they are sending us off. With a broken husband and a "Have a nice life" but they do not know that I am Supermom. I will get through this and we will survive. I hope that maybe though this blog I can connect to other parents, learn a little, help a little and share our new journey. We will be traveling across country to Florida. I have not traveled this long with her before. Not with the pump either. I am trying to work out the details and get all our supplies. The doctor is great helping me think of everything but I know I will need some help to get through this. I hope some of you out there will post and give me some of that help along the way. maybe you will find some of our trip amusing. I always have something amusing happen each day. Isn't that the way with kids!!!??? Plus I homeschool so we are always together. Well if you are still reading this I have not bored you with our opening story. Thanks for reading and hope you come back to share in our story some more.

2 Comments:

  • At 9:43 PM HST, Blogger bethany said…

    it get's easier ... and your daughter ... she's gonna learn that she's a stronger person because of her diabetes ... it's made me stronger, and yes sometimes it's hard and sometimes it sucks - especially for a child, but you make and later you look back on it and you realize it was never quite as bad as it seemed at that moment. :-p stay strong! and feel free to write.

     
  • At 10:08 AM HST, Blogger Megan said…

    Thanks for starting this blog. I look forward to reading more. Good luck to you and your family.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home