Butterfly Kisses & Bedtime Prayers

"Butterfly Kisses after bedtime prayer. Stickn' little white flowers all up in her hair. Oh with all that I've done wrong, I must have done something right. To deserve a hug every morning and butterfly kisses at night". *** For parents of children with diabetes and adults who are living with Type 1 diabetes. We are looking to share stories, ideas, concerns, and laughter.***

Thursday, December 08, 2005

A good numbers day

Today was one of those rare days. Carylanne's numbers were good all day. I love those days. You know when you wake up and the BG is 100-130. Then all the other readings are great too. They are rare. Great rare. Like a husband remembering your anniversary, or getting roses on Valentine's Day.

Time is going so slow. We are waiting for the Army to decide on our medical disability pension and when our final date to leave will be. We have had enough Aloha to last a life time. Hawaiian Christmas songs don't cut it. Neither does Santa in Aloha attire and flip-flops. The girls don't remember what real trees look like.

Carylanne has been in much better spirits this week. Last Friday night I found Six until Me. I cried and cried when I read it. Then showed it to Carylanne. She has had the good fortune to talk to the author and has found a new friend. We are greatful. She handles all this in stride but about once every few months we have a breakdown of sorts. I know it is all going to take its toll on her eventually. She is 9. I can imagine it will get worse as she becomes a teen. Going home now is the best thing for all of us. That is why we are not unhappy with the Army's decision to discharge. He is hurt and cannot be fixed. Nothing can change that. So let us go home and start a new life. My girls need to connect with others in the civilian world. The do not know anything but the Army. Moving around the country. Always having to say good-bye just as you make a friend. It will be a wonderful thing to be part of a community that is home. But they will sure have some great stories and pictures to share of the life they have lived so far. They have stood at the base of an active volcano. Slept in a cabin on the mountain of Kilauea. Been to the top of Mauna Kea and to the best observatory in the world. Laid in the sun on Waikiki beach; and soon will get to drive across country. We have been given many opportunities.

But I go to bed and say my prayers. Prayers for a new life for us all. Prayers for my little girls. One so she can be healthy and happy. That she will be cured someday soon. Prayers my other daughter will be spared and that she will know that she is loved as much as her sister even though she sometimes thinks her sister gets more attention. And prayers for peace. We have lived this war in a personal way and we pray for all our soldiers and their families.

4 Comments:

  • At 3:48 AM HST, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Your post is heartfelt and tender, and I appreciate your blog.

    You wrote "I know it is all going to take its toll on her eventually. She is 9. I can imagine it will get worse as she becomes a teen." For what it's worth, my son has had wonderful teen years even with the diabetes, and others have too...so please keep that in mind.

    ChildrenWithDiabetes.com has a conference in Orlando every summer and perhaps you'll be able to attend. There's wonderful support and lots of great friends to meet at the conference.

    I'm in southeast Florida and if you need help finding an endo, desire support etc., please feel free to contact me at CureDiabetes@cwdmail.com.

    Big hugs for a safe and exciting journey.

    Love, Ellen
    www.kidsrpumping.com (a woefully old website but it was my first)

     
  • At 6:40 AM HST, Blogger Sandra Miller said…

    Welcome to the OC!

    My 10-year old son was dx'd just over a year ago... God, I know exactly what you mean by the "good numbers day" -- Joseph is on track for one today, but it is always so bittersweet, something to be enjoyed after the fact, for any little thing (a special treat, a sudden burst of activity) could blow that "good numbers day" to smithereens...

    Anyhow, I'm so sorry that you have to deal with so much right now-- as if diabetes were not enough.

    You've definitely plugged into a good community for support.

    Keep writing-- I'm adding a link to your site this morning.

    Take care,

    Sandra

     
  • At 10:57 AM HST, Blogger Allison said…

    Hi! My name is Allison, I'm 20 and I was diagnosed at age 8. You seem like such a wonderful and devoted mother! I look forward to hearing about your adventure moving to civilian life.

    As Ellen mentioned, CWD is an AWESOME resource, for kids and parents. I will be at the Orlando conference next summer! Maybe I will see you there?

    My blog is Lemonade Life, www.lemonlemonade.blogspot.com, and I talk about all sorts of things related to living on my own with diabetes. Some of it is probably not want parents want to hear, but people have told me a valuable and realistic resource, which means a lot.

    I also manage the Diabetes OC website (perhaps you have run across it). I am adding you to the site as I type. This always increases traffic to websites, so hopefully you will start to connect more with the other Moms in the OC. The OC's address is diabetesoc.blogspot.com.

    Catch ya later!

     
  • At 12:05 PM HST, Blogger Kerri. said…

    Hi Supermom.

    I've linked you from Six Until Me, so hopefully you'll find some support between Here and There. I love what you've written so far. I'll be checking in on you often!

    Keep in touch, here and otherwise.

    And good luck with the blog.

    Kerri. :)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home